Monday, June 25, 2007

Mt. Hope A.M.E. Zion Church Members; Like lambs Being Led To Their Unpleasant End!

Well isn't it just fine and dandy. Other than a handful of members, the vast majority of the members did not want Pastor Maddox back as our leader. And it has nothing to do with disliking him as a person (although a good deal of his behavior is extremely troublesome), but it is simply about the lack of effectiveness as a minister.

Why would the average member want someone to return each and every year when we see so much negative impact on the church during the period that he has been in charge; particularily over the last 3 to 4 years - now members you know this is the truth! Yet still we are treated like people who have no ability to think for ourselves and with absolutely no impact over how the decisions are made. For a change we need someone to take our desires into account. The members have been disrespected for far too long based upon any objective measures that you choose to use.

The decision makers have no regard for the welfare of our church, especially when one of the major duties of any minister is to grow the church membership and allow the church to prosper (check your discipline for the duties and responsibilties of a minister to confirm this). With this in mind, how would this have been the proper decision in any of the last 3 to 4 years in particular? The only thing the decision makers respect from the members is the monetary givings that are received - and only if it is in amounts that are sufficient to support the compensation of the presiding elders, bishops and others that the A.M.E. Zion budget supports. If ever there was a case of "taxation without representation", this is a prime example. And I don't want anyone to say "what is he talking about mentioning taxes" but you understand that it is simply an analogy - but completely valid!

After saying all of this, if we don't want to simply be stupid little members who think that there is nothing that we can do; I have a perfect solution for us all. It does not involve posting on this site, writing to the presiding elder or bishop, but simply taking a stance once and for all by simply staying away from Mt. Hope A.M.E. Zion Church for the entire month of July (and even longer if we have to). The Bishop must afford some respect to our wishes in this matter. You know a church can not function if the members don't attend and pay their monies! Maybe the pastor, presiding elder and bishop can financially support Mt Hope in our absence. There is nothing more powerful and at the same time non-confrontational. So for all of you that don't want to "make waves", all you have to do is stay home and voice your disapproval over the return of Pastor Maddox in that manner; you don't have to utter a single word.

Do you think you have the guts to do that; finally take a stand and be heard? You think that the Bishop might be forced to come and have a much needed meeting with us as members for a change? No decision is set in stone; especially when it is the wrong decision! We shall see starting Sunday July 1st. Incidently, Mt Hope is not the only place where we can serve GOD for now.

One final thought; the Pastor, the Presiding Elder and the Presiding Bishop all are supposed to serve the members not the nmembers serve them!!! Again, this is per our A.M.E. Zion Discipline.

Glover Davis (fed up with the lack of concern for our church and its needs)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought you were no longer a member of MT. HOPE A.M.E. ZION. where is the letter you were going to share?

Anonymous said...

"interested non-member sais"....

Thanks for your interest and posting. Because I am still a member (it has been determined that no pastor in The A.M.E. Zion Denomination has the authority to remove a member from the church's membership role) I find it unnecessary at this point to post the entire letter since it is a moot point. That position has been re-affirmmed by the bishop during his remarks at the recently concluded Annual Conference.

I am on a more important endeavor at this time since the real battle is not over. I will be requesting a members trial in a letter to Pastor Maddox, which I presume will take place as soon as possible so that if i'm guilty in the eyes of the members, then I will be removed from the Mt. Hope Church membership role.

We will follow the due process as the Discipline requires us to do. Until such time as i'm convicted by the members, my membership has remained intact (no need to ask for re-instatement or anything else)!

Glover Davis

Anonymous said...

Why don't you just go and get over yourself. You sound like a disgruntal employee that's been replaced, fighting for a job that's no longer his.

Anonymous said...

"non-member said"........

Well I think you will be the inspiration for me continually posting information on this site. I sincerely feel bad for people who don't have a dag-gon clue. Whatever your age is, for that number of years your life has been a complete waste. Your small amount of emotional energy has recently been spent on attacking me personally; without even once asknowledging what is true. I hope that you will never ever have decision-making power over any group that is so extremly weak, like for instance; the members of Mt. Hope Church!

"I should just go and get over myself". What an insightful journey into who I am. If this is the best that you can come up with, please don't bother wasting the space on my site. What job is it that I am fighting for? Anyone who knows me realize that I will never want to serve on any responsible board in the church that runs from its responsibilty. If you are talking about the Trustee Board, I was removed in August of 2004 for what was stated as one quarter! No one in Mt Hope Church ever heard me utter the words - I guess I will be back on the board for the next quarter. Those who asked when I was coming back will tell you that I stated: "I have no desire to serve on the board ever again". Not once did I state in the quarterly conference that it is now time to be reinstated; not once were words of this nature uttered and I attended all quarterly conferences through November, 2005.

Incidently, the "disgruntled employee" remark is not applicable. I own my own business and has had the courage to step out and gain some measure of success even though it has been quite rocky at times but I am a fighter. I don't have the mentallity of an employee so just drop your sorry little attempt at making an analogy!!!

At least have a clue what you are talking about; you "johnnie-come-latelies".

I had about enough of cowards and totally clueless people like you who for some reason think my battle is with you. I have nothing against you and you should mind your own business.

Glover Davis (the nonsense comes from all sides; the fools have seemingly taken over).

*** The beauty of it is that I know exactly who you are and you can take that to the bank miss paper tiger.

Anonymous said...

First- have no clue what you are carrying on about, however am saying there are more mature ways of "venting" than internet bashing. Check out Romans 12:10 it'll help build "one's" foundation. Good luck.

Anonymous said...

"non member said"......

First, I don't need any luck, I know God for myself (at least that is what I firmly beleive).

Second, it does not surprise me at all that you don't have a clue - i'm glad that you realize that because that is what I have been saying to you all along.

Leave me alone and stop embarrassing yourself. This is not between you and I; please get that in your head. On this score, I think sentiments of good luck to you is completely appropriate.

Glover Davis

Anonymous said...

Update - update - update - update..

Mt. Hope A.M.E. Zion Church members, use the one power that you have to effect a change in leadership. It is time that you simply stay away from Mt. Hope, at least for the month of July (and longer if necessary). No church can function without members and their financial support. Show some courage for a change; there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. All of you need to stop letting the hierarchy take advantage of you over and over again.

It's been said that there is nothing that you can do as members about an ill-equipped pastor being sent to our church year-after-year. You could not be more wrong but you will need to take a step that might be a little tough for you but it is absolutely needed.

Its not the worse thing to visit a couple other churches, in Zion, for a month or so.

I'm going to observe who actually attends Mt. Hope for the next few Sundays. You may not see me but I will see you.

The exercise of power for a good cause is noble; the abuse of power under any circumstances is sinful.

Glover Davis

ps. Look in your mailboxes for something very important, at least in my opinion, tomorrow or Saturday!

Prophet said...

re: non-member

The 12th chapter of Romans is about being a “Living Sacrifices.” The verse that you are referring to Romans 12:10 states: “Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.” It speaks about how we should treat one another, but says nothing about the misuse of Gods money.
As spirit beings living in a physical body we are often lead a stray. We search the word of God to feed or flesh and not our spirit. I my self study the word as much as possible to find out what God says, because his word is the same today as it was yesterday and for every more.
God does not dwell in our mess, He requires order in everything. Where there is no order there is confusion. This is why God has set watchman in the kingdom;

1 Samuel 14:16 (Whole Chapter)
And the watchmen of Saul in Gibeah of Benjamin looked; and, behold, the multitude melted away, and they went on beating down one another.

2 Kings 17:9 (Whole Chapter)
And the children of Israel did secretly those things that were not right against the LORD their God, and they built them high places in all their cities, from the tower of the watchmen to the fenced city.

Song of Solomon 5:7 (Whole Chapter)
The watchmen that went about the city found me, they smote me, they wounded me; the keepers of the walls took away my veil from me.

Isaiah 52:8 (Whole Chapter)
Thy watchmen shall lift up the voice; with the voice together shall they sing: for they shall see eye to eye, when the LORD shall bring again Zion.

Isaiah 62:6 (Whole Chapter)
I have set watchmen upon thy walls, O Jerusalem, which shall never hold their peace day nor night: ye that make mention of the LORD, keep not silence,

Jeremiah 6:17 (Whole Chapter)
Also I set watchmen over you, saying, Hearken to the sound of the trumpet. But they said, We will not hearken.

Jeremiah 31:6 (Whole Chapter)
For there shall be a day, that the watchmen upon the mount Ephraim shall cry, Arise ye, and let us go up to Zion unto the LORD our God.

Jeremiah 51:12 (Whole Chapter)
Set up the standard upon the walls of Babylon, make the watch strong, set up the watchmen, prepare the ambushes: for the LORD hath both devised and done that which he spake against the inhabitants of Babylon.

Micah 7:4 (Whole Chapter)
The best of them is as a brier: the most upright is sharper than a thorn hedge: the day of thy watchmen and thy visitation cometh; now shall be their perplexity.

“Stand strong Mt Hope, and rest in the knowledge that He will come and not tarry.”

God Bless